How Yoga and Essential Oils Can Help Anxiety
Our world today is full of stress and most of us don’t realize it. In a world where overwork is valued, stress has become so commonplace – it’s almost a norm in our daily life. The harmful effects of stress are countless, one of the least talked about is anxiety. People with anxiety suffer from different kinds of problems from panic attacks to mental health problems that affect their well-being and quality of life. And while others turn to over-the-counter drugs and medication to cure anxiety, some also find yoga combined with essential oils to be most effective.
Mastering Your Emotions with Yoga
Yoga comes with great physical benefits that help people feel connected, flexible, and healthy. But if you’re going to ask people why they like yoga so much… their answer will always be the same. What makes yoga so incredibly satisfying is the emotional and mental benefits you get from it. It’s all about the principles you learn while doing the activity. The union of the self and mind & the unparalleled relaxation makes yoga the best activity for curing anxiety.
Here are just a few ways yoga helps you beat anxiety.
- Yoga helps your body relax. Anxiety brings many uncomfortably physical symptoms including fear, tension, and pain sensitivity. Through doing different yoga postures, you can release built-up muscle tensions, stiffness, and other physical discomfort brought by anxiety.
- Yoga helps you understand your emotions. Yoga is not only limited to helping the physical body, one of the best parts of practising yoga is the mind training. People who do yoga on a daily basis have more control over their negative thinking patterns. Through yoga, they are able to meditate, visualize, and focus more on positive and relaxing thoughts thereby releasing any stress and confusion clouding your mind. Yoga helps you better understand your psyche and through it you can cultivate a life where you’re more connected to yourself a life where negativity and self-destruction are replaced with positivity and self-love. A life where anxiety is non-existent.
- Yoga allows you to feel a sense of belonging. People with anxiety often suffer from panic disorder and agoraphobia. Joining a yoga class to meet other people can help you feel more connected and part of a community.
How Essential Oils and Yoga can Help with Anxiety
Our sense of smell is one of the most powerful out of all our five senses. Studies have found that an average person can recognize more than 1 trillion different aromas at once. Scents also have a powerful effect on our mood, which is why aromatherapy is such an effective way to deal with anxiety.
Aromatherapy includes the use of essential oils that help with various conditions and ailments When these oils interact with your body either through inhalation or absorption through the skin, it stimulates areas of the brain that play a huge role in your mood, memory, behaviour, and emotions. Essential oils have always been used as a natural cure for illness including symptoms of anxiety and depression. The following are some of the most common essential oils used for anxiety:
- Lavender – has calming and soothing effects. It can also help improve sleep and reduce tensions.
- Bergamot – known for its beautiful aroma, bergamot is often used to fight depression by providing energy. It can also help cure insomnia and reduce blood and pulse rate.
- Chamomile – promotes inner harmony and helps with people with extreme irritability and overthinking tendencies. Studies also fund chamomile to have anti-depressant properties.
- Frankincense – has calming effects that help promote “spiritual grounding”. It can help you meditate and concentrate on tasks.
- Lemongrass – can reduce tension levels almost immediately.
- Vetiver – helps you focus by relaxing your muscles and diaphragm.
- Ylang Ylang – lowers stress hormones and blood pressure level.
It’s important to keep in mind that the effects of anxiety can differ from one person to another. Yoga might work for you but not necessarily for other people. Needless to say, yoga is an extremely rewarding activity which everyone can benefit from. Whether you’re suffering from anxiety, depression, or just feeling a little too overwhelmed lately, yoga and essential oils can help.